Wednesday, July 02, 2008



Well, according to my daughter-in-law, Jill, it's about time for my "quarterly" blog! I'm not very regular with blogging - although I DO read others' often!

It's been a very very busy couple of months. I have adjusted my work hours and changed jobs....done a medical mission in the Dominican Republic and visited Tim and Jill in Texas....so much in such a short time!

The job change was a long time coming- something I needed to do for quite a while. I am now working part time for the Chief Nurse Executive at our hospital in a brand new role (just being created) of Disaster Preparedness Coordinator. It will involve a lot of policy review and writing, developing drills to train staff, working within the Metropolitan Washington area on committees to keep us hopefully all on the same page in preparedness, among other things (I love that, "and other duties as assigned"...) I will keep on working in the ER 1 day a week to keep my skills sharp - but have given up my 10+ year job in ER management. While a bit scary at first to make the break - I am actually LOVING getting back to the bedside on my days in staffing and connecting with patients in a deeper and more significant way. And the good news is: my blood pressure is already down by 15 - 20 points!!! I have been able to pace myself so much better - am riding my bike and swimming several times a week...and watching what I eat (as opposed to eating junk on the run when I was working the horrible hours before!)

The DR trip was amazing. FINALLY, Valerie and I got to be NURSES together on a trip! We'd dreamed about this day...and really enjoyed ministering to the sick. The photo above of our missionary, Brian, with one of the Hatian residents of the garbage dump in Puerto Plata is my favorite one - it truly shows what our mission is all about - feeding the sick with both food, as well as with the Word. While we were working on those who were physically sick - Brian was reaching out and comforting, offering the words of Christ to all who would listen. I simply cannot wait to go back.

Lastly - I am SO proud of my son and daughter-in-law, Tim & Jill - they have finally bought their new home....it is gorgeous! We had a lovely visit - as well as 2 wonderful days with my mom and sisters. Ian got to go along for the trip - and was good as gold - he is such an easy child to travel with! He loved seeing his Aunt and Uncle - as well as his cousins in Cleburne! We got to go to the Zoe conference in Arlington, Tx - and were simply filled to the brim with worship through song....Aaah....I am truly content.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yay...a new post! So glad you and Ian were able to come visit and we can't wait to see Val!